June 17, 2009
1. 70% of my neighbors: Why do you sit for many minutes idling in your driveway only to zoom out backwards just as I run past? Why, especially if you have a big honkin' smelly truck, do you not look carefully to catch a glimpse of what the window posts may have blocked (me) when you (didn't) look the first time? Why do you have a phone clamped to the side of your head, obliterating your peripheral vision?
2. regular neighborhood dogwalker: Why do you have your extremely prey-driven energetic little dog on a retractable leash? He sees something (me) run past and jerks the damn leash out of your hand, and your motorized wheelchair isn't fast enough to catch him. And he doesn't come when you call him.
3. potential new viola teacher: Why do you leave a voicemail agreeing to give lessons over the summer, then never, ever return my subsequent calls? I am very willing to show up for lessons, practice hard and pay you on time without prompting. I have left 2 voicemails during the past 2 weeks and I'm beginning to feel like a stalker. If you didn't want to take on another student you should've just said no and stopped wasting everyone's time.
4. former regular client: You just dropped off the face of the earth; why?
5. employers at the chiro's officer: Why do you ask me (at the last minute) to cover a vacationing employee's hours, then neglect to tell me that the vacationer's plans have changed and I won't be needed after all?
Focus, people! There are other folks on the planet besides yourselves.
Posted by joe positive at June 17, 2009 9:53 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
One of my favorite lines from "Six Feet Under" (from one of my favorite television characters of all time, Claire Fisher): "News flash! Other people exist!"
Posted by: Julie at June 19, 2009 11:16 AM
3,4,& 5 illustrate the general decline of our apathy toward anything that does not affect us. #2 is simply a dipshit dog and owner.
Posted by: at June 21, 2009 4:23 PM