February 17, 2008
some things I learned this week
first, let's get this out of the way:
M: 6.11mi (8:11), pissed at myself for Sunday's performance, too fast for a recovery run
T: 7.8mi (8:59), paying for Monday
W PM: 11.78mi (8:30) incl 10x50m pickups
R: 8.4mi (8:21)
F: 8.04mi (8:43)
Sa: 15.05mi (7:59) progression incl 10x50m pickups
Su: 8.45mi (8:18), felt easy, but too fast
total: 65.6 miles + various xtraining (core strength, leg strength, stretching)
ok, here is what I've learned:
1. you don't always come up with an ultra-catchy post title.
2. sometimes the tiniest annoying thing can throw you off: I have a blister on the little toe of one foot. It hurts like a mother and throws me onto the medial (big-toe) side of the foot, which puts too much weight on the joint of my big toe, which now hurts like a mother. Thanks god I don't have a workout until tomorrow.
3. hamstrings! They work. After the half-marathon last Sunday I chatted a few minutes with a woman who beat me by about 5 minutes (two years ago we were pretty much even, whaaa) and she mentioned she'd been doing some plyos that really helped her hamstring strength. Now I mean this in the nicest possible way, but this woman has always had thighs that were bigger around than my head, so I was happy that she'd found a good use for them, i.e. a 1:27 half-marathon. Anyway, during a few runs this week I made a point of using my hamstrings - not in an exaggerated way, more like just remembering they were there - and I was amazed to see my pace drop with no corresponding increase in effort. I have big-ol' sprinter's calves (though I have neither the talent nor the desire to sprint), and I have probably been overusing them the entire six years I've been running. Maybe if I can gradually bring the hamstrings into it, I'll start running better. If my bad foot doesn't fall off, that is.
4. I discovered stuff white people like right about the same time the entire rest of the internet did.
5. on a running forum I hang out in, I learned that transgendered (male-to-female) people have OB-GYN docs, though I can't for the life of me understand why.
whew! That's quite a bit of learning this week.
Posted by joe positive at February 17, 2008 9:48 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
That White People page is...fucking great. Can I say fucking on your blog?
Anyhow, my mother's second marriage was to a Southern-born African American--a crash course in race relations to my whiny, pre-teen, pale ass. Unfortunately, her WOP relatives were less enthusiastic...
Posted by: tuscaloosarunner at February 17, 2008 3:32 PM