October 13, 2005
trying not to be negative
I've been watching the Baltimore weather like a hawk for the past, oh, ten days, and it's now looking like Saturday will be 1) too warm, and 2) windy. This is such a weird situation, to have put in the training and then to get on the plane knowing I'm probably not going to be able to run what I'd hoped to run.
What to do? Revise the goal right now? How far - 10s/mile? 15? More? There are pace groups in Baltimore; should I hang with the one going my hoped-for pace and see how long I last? Should I hang it up right now and try running Jacksonville in two months?
This year in Boston I knew it was going to be too warm to run well, but I was happy to have made it to the race at all after the sfx, and anyway I still had a little hope. I ended up not running well but was not too depressed to go out dancing that night after the race. For this race I trained a lot differently (and longer) than I had previously, put in a lot of miles at varying paces and I thought I had a shot at a significant PR, and now it's almost a sure thing (or is it) that it won't be a good day. I can only hope that this training will somehow help me through a less-than-ideal conditions.
ach, this sounds so stupid, gnashing my teeth about this pace or that pace (both well over 3 hours anyway). It's not like I was going to win the thing anyway.
Posted by joe positive at October 13, 2005 6:00 AM
Hey, Joe Positive, cheer-up and embrace your user name, it's going to be 50 degrees in Baltimore at the start! Surely a Florida girl can handle this! Good luck, I feel a PR coming!
Posted by: Dawn at October 13, 2005 8:33 AM
50F at the start would be a blessing indeed, but both weatherunderground (back after resolution of a peering dispute) and noaa say 60 at the start, 72 by 11am (which is well before I expect to finish, even on a good day), 10 - 20mph west winds by the time I turn west for miles 20 - 23, which are hilly. I could not have asked for a worse forecast.
So whatever magic 8 ball said 50 at the start...please thank it kindly for the good wishes, and I really hope it's right :-)
Posted by: joe positive at October 13, 2005 9:08 AM
btw, the marathon is Saturday, not Sunday. On Sunday it's supposed to be 50F at 8am.
Posted by: joe positive at October 13, 2005 9:09 AM
What about going to the Columbus marathon (i think it's in october) or philly is in november? if you are looking for a pr and know the weather wont be good, why waste your time and money? it sounds like you are more worried about the weather than your race, so i think that is your "answer". you're expending a lot of energy before even running, so why not go to a place where you give yourself a chance to PR? if not, good luck this weekend :)
Posted by: Lilly at October 13, 2005 9:15 AM
Columbus did briefly cross my mind, but it's this weekend and it's too late to change plans, especially since the trip to Baltimore is already bought and paid for. And I'm not financially or vocationally flexible enough to go after another out-of-town marathon this year. But you're right; I'm worrying about this more than is necessary, especially since I can't do anything about the weather.
Posted by: joe positive at October 13, 2005 9:56 AM
For $75 you can change flights, cant you? i could be wrong, but the $75 might be worth the change:) There is also a marathon in CT at the end of the month called Mystic Places marathon (i think), that might be worth a look? just a thought...
Posted by: Lilly at October 13, 2005 10:55 AM
Hey there, I've been stalking but haven't commented til now. I did a modified Pfitzinger, so it's been fascinating to see your hard work and progress.
Anyway, just my two cents...a pace group helped me at Chicago. Perhaps start with a slightly more conservative one and if you feel good at 15 or 20, push the physical and mental envelope.
Pre-marathon motivational quote fr some 80's song:
"In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries never."
Good luck and run strong.
Posted by: Leilani at October 13, 2005 1:46 PM
Sorry, my bad, I did assume it was Sunday not Sat. but I just looked on the weather channel at it says 54F. Again, good luck!
Posted by: Dawn at October 14, 2005 10:18 AM
Oh crap, I was thinking the race was Sunday, not Saturday, so I haven't wished you luck yet. Good luck!!! Even though it is too late for you to send this, I am sending you vibes right now and will continue to do so throughout the morning. It's pouring rain here, so at least you're not running the Medford Marathon! I can't wait to hear how it goes.
Posted by: Alison at October 15, 2005 7:51 AM
Best of luck think positive you worked damn hard for this
Posted by: Dawn at October 15, 2005 8:52 AM
Alison, I passed along your message as she ran by our hotel. She's though about 10k in about 44 minutes and says she's feeling ok.
Posted by: m at October 15, 2005 8:53 AM