August 13, 2004
Because of the impending hurricane I'm working from home today. Running-wise this meant I could sleep in a little and get a leisurely 9.5 in without having to worry about getting presentable immediately afterward. So I just puttered around the neighborhood thinking about stuff:
- There are a lot of big trees in the neighborhood. I wonder how many will be left this time tomorrow.
- Fantasy about pacing president Bush in a some kind of race, and forcing him to blow his knee out (take that, mister president!)
- My leg still hurts but is still bearable.
- I wonder what kinds of things 110-mph winds can pick up and throw around.
- I wonder if the river in my neighborhood will flood.
Toward the end of the run, some police cars came around ordering the riverfront folks to evacuate. We're slightly uphill, up the street, and across the street from this little river, so we're staying put for the time being. There's no place for us to go, anyway. The latest pictures show the storm might hit a little south of here, which would be better for us (though worse for those south of us). Maybe the thing will shoot off into the Gulf and spin itself out.
Posted by joe positive at August 13, 2004 10:16 AM
Just wondering how you (and your home) fared through Charley. I still haven't talked to my grandparents in Lakeland, but I guess telephone service was knocked out there... Hope all is well and that you and your loved ones are safe. Meghan
Posted by: Meghan at August 14, 2004 10:40 AM